Times have indeed changed. Never before have people talked about technology revolution and green revolution in the same breath, but it is very common to do so today.
Nowadays, being green is not just about preserving rainforests but also about making environment conscious adjustments in our choices of tech gadgets. We want ones that use renewable energy, recyclable and non-toxic materials – like these top 10 green gadgets:
1. Solar-powered backpack. This solar-powered backpack from Voltaic does not only carry your gadgets but charges them as well. The bag has a solar panel attached and readily stores energy from the sun, transferring the same clean energy to your gadgets in the backpack, replacing the fossil fuel power you would normally need if you charged from the grid.
2. Water-powered clock. This clock from Bedol runs without batteries. It is powered instead by salt water, which corrodes the tiny clock mechanisms inside. That corrosion process provides the energy to make the clock work. (Isn’t chemistry amazing?) The best part: they don’t look geeky at all, as they come in a variety of colours.
3. 12-volt wind generator. This small windmill-type device uses a tiny turbine to charge most low-voltage electronic devices, including 12-volt batteries.
4. Earphones with wooden ear plugs. Get green by using gadgets that are completely non-toxic and absolutely biodegradable. Every music addict will love these earphones with wooden ear plugs. The wood component makes a very good sound resonator.
Yes, trees will be cut to make these earphones – unless they are made from recycled wood – but did you know it’s actually good to cut old trees if you replace them with saplings, because young trees absorb far more carbon dioxide than old, dying trees?
You will be happy to know these earphones are compatible with iPod devices.
5. Nokia 3110 Evolve. Cell phone users who agonise over the carbon footprint of most mobile phones can now rejoice with the Nokia 3110 Evolve, which is made of biodegradable materials.
6. Logitech solar-rechargeable keyboard. Even at the office, there is no excuse not to do your part in saving Mother Earth. The Logitech wireless keyboard we all know now comes in a solar-powered model, so say good-bye to batteries. Even indoor lighting can charge this gadget.
7. Kill-A-Watt wireless monitor carbon footprint metre. A must-have for every office, the Kill-A-Watt wireless monitor carbon footprint metre calculates the power usage of your green office daily, weekly, and monthly to ensure you stay on the green path.
8.Wild Grass solar garden lights. A number of green gadgets can be used in our very own homes, where we can make the greatest environmental impact. Starting with your garden, the Wild Grass solar garden lights stay illuminated for up to six hours from just eight hours of solar exposure. The LED bulbs are automatically activated as twilight falls, giving a glow to your garden without extra power.
9. Rainwater storage tanks. These can be strategically placed along the fence while holding up to 50 gallons of water per container, for everyday household use. The reservoirs are made from food grade and recyclable polyethylene.